The Undergrad:

A full time student, and a proud procrastinator, I will blog about my cooking experiences from my better-than-dorm apartment. Because now, I have my own kitchen. Ha! And of course bits and pieces of daily finds and interests here and there at Oregon State Univ.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Veggie Soup in a Skillet

                           Veggie Soup in a Skillet by Kitchen Undergrad


















On the last day before school, my sister put together a simple, yet delicious soup. The roughly chopped veggies melt in your mouth, and the soup has a consistency of silk. The soup was cooked in a skillet. I planned to get a stainless steel pot to cook, but I fell in love with this 2 qt, 8 pounder. While cooking, It got hot so quickly, we had it on medium low most of the time. I would like to share this lovely recipe, just in time for the changing seasons! Many thanks and love to my sister.

Here is the recipe:


Ingredients:
1 Onion
1/2 Leak
1/2 Carrot
3 Green Onions
1 Small Zucchini
1 Yukon Gold Potato
2 Cloves of Garlic
(Small amount of ginger - optional)
1tsp. Chicken Bouillon
about 3tbsp.Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Mince all vegetables. Start with onions, and simmer them in olive oil. Add potatoes, leaks, zucchini, garlic and ginger. Cook until slightly colored. Then add water and chicken bouillon. Keep heat on low and set for at least 15 min. You can always turn the heat off and set aside. You may be "done" cooking, but the more you let the soup set, the more flavorful your soup becomes.

If you don't know if your potatoes are cooked, let me introduce to you the "Fork Tender" method. Just take a fork and poke the potato. Not to sound morbid, but if it "pierces" the potato smoothly, then it is cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment